411 Mosby Avenue
Littleton, North Carolina
“The Little Town with the Big Heart”
Year opened: ????
Year closed: 1975
nickname: Blue Jays
colors: Navy & White
Partial History of Schools in Littleton, NC
In 1849, Rev. Dr. William Hooper and his son-in-law, Prof. J. DeBerniere Hooper, opened a short-lived Family School for boys near Littleton.
In 1882, Littleton High School and Business Institute was opened. It lasted for quite a few years. In 1892, it had 5 instructors, 3 male and 2 female teaching 120 male students.
The Central Institute for Young Ladies in Littleton was incorporated in Warren Co. in 1883. In 1884 it had 6 teachers and 125 students.
Branson’s North Carolina Agricultural Almanac for 1890 lists Littleton High School (for boys) under Halifax Co. Schools. (The population of Littleton is listed as 350.)
Littleton High School was listed in the 1893 edition of the American College and Public School Directory.
The 1898 NC Biennial School Report lists Littleton Supplemental School, a one-room school in Halifax Co., but doesn’t list Littleton High School.
In 1907, an act was introduced in the NC Senate to authorize establishing a graded school in Littleton.
The 1909 Dept. of Agriculture list of agricultural schools lists the Central Academy in Littleton. (Is this the Central Institute for Young Ladies chartered in 1883?)
In 1922, Littleton High School in Warren Co. was listed as a “Group 2, Class A” school in the NC “accredited schools” report.
There are about 200 Littleton High School alumni on Classmates.com.
[This info was submitted by Taylor Hawkins, whose mother attended Littleton High School. Thanks, Taylor!]
The Littleton High School colors were Navy Blue & White and the mascot was the Blue Jay.
The school song was “Littleton Forever”:
Thy name we love;
Pride of our fathers
In this land of ours.
Come and join the chorus,
Proudly we’ll sing
Praises for Littleton,
Now let them begin to ring!…rah, rah, rah!
At one time the county line ran down the middle of the campus. The school building was in Warren County and the gym was in Halifax County. The historic Person’s Ordinary (on NC Historic Register) is on the campus grounds. George Washington spent the night in Person’s Ordinary.
The school building and auditorium are now home to the Lakeland Cultural Arts Center and the Mark E. Taylor Theater (community theater).
If you have any photos, yearbook scans, corrections, memories, or additional info about Littleton High School, please leave a comment below. Your input will make this a much more useful and interesting page.