Named for Pope Gregory VII (Hildebrand of Sovana)
1900: Hildebran 190
1900: Icard Twp. 2,150
2000: Hildebran 1,472
2000: Icard Twp. 16,753
Hildebran High School
202 S. Center St.
Hildebran, NC 28637
Colors: Royal Blue & Silver
1964 Class AA Men’s Basketball State Champs (defeated Forest Hills High School, 70-65; Head Coach Melvin Ruggles)
1952 6-man Footbal State Runner-up (lost to Clayton High School, 20-14)
From Town of Hildebran website:
The Town Hall began its life as a schoolhouse. The first brick schoolhouse was built in Hildebran in 1917. It remains a part of the present building, but has had several additions during the years. No electricity was available until the early 1920’s. The auditorium was lighted for night programs by several gas lanterns.
– The first addition to the school was in about 1923, an auditorium with additional classrooms on the second floor. The original auditorium was converted to classrooms.
– The first commencement was held in 1919. By 1925 the graduating class had increased to fourteen members.
– A wooden structure was built in the 40’s to be used as a lunchroom. It later became the schools first gymnasium.
– In 1957 more land was purchased and a new primary (“main”) building was constructed (building on right). In 1959, a new auditorium was added with a bandroom. A new gymnasium was added in 1965.
Hildebran High School, George Hildebran High School and Valdese High School consolidated in 1974 to form East Burke High School.
The Hildebran High School building is now the home of the Albert L. Parkhurst Municipal Complex.