Population: approx. 4,500
The town of Farmville was incorporated in 1872. For the next 100 years, its growth and prosperity were directly tied to the cultivation, processing and distribution of Brightleaf tobacco. Today, Farmville is trying to hold on to the benefits of small-town life while expanding its commercial and industrial opportunities.
Town of Farmville website
Over 300 old Farmville photos
Farmville High School
Mascot: Red Devils
Colors: Red & White
I couldn’t find any record of when Farmville High School opened or closed.
– I found one biography of a fellow who graduated from “the Farmville high school” in the 1890’s. Meanwhile, his sisters graduated from “the Normal School”, also in Farmville.
– An 1898 “Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction” shows the schools in Farmville as the “Farmville Male and Female Academy”.
– Another biography says the subject was a teacher in Farmville from 1880-1890, but doesn’t say what school.
– The 1910 “North Carolina School Bulletin” records that Farmville High School had 24 students and two teachers.
– Ayden-Grifton High School was built in 1971. Farmville Central High School and North Pitt High School opened about the same time.
1963 State runner-up (Region 1) Lost to Murfreesboro, 20-7
1964 State Champs (Region 1) Defeated Weldon, 26-0
1968 State runner-up (East) Lost to Rohanen, 21-20
In 1957, Farmville didn’t win the Class A state football championship, but they had an interesting trip before falling. The game against Beaufort ended in a 0-0 tie. In those days, there was no overtime. The team with the most offensive yards (Farmville) was declared the winner. The following week, Farmville scored late in the game to tie the score at 6. Again, they were awarded the victory by outgaining Red Springs. Here’s a recap of the second game from the Red Springs’ home newspaper, the Robesonian.
Please help us out. If you have any additional info about Farmville High School, please leave it in the comments below. Send a link to this post to your fellow alumni so they can share their memories, too.