Farm Life High School
Colors: Garnet & Gold
A Brief History of Farm Life High School
(adapted from Sandhills Farm Life Elementary website)
– A one-room school was built on an acre of land donated by Allan C. McDonald. The school was named Eureka School. In time, a second one room building was built with local labor and more land was obtained.
– High school grades were added.
– Local citizens helped build a two story building.
– The Eureka school was granted a Farm Life Charter by the North Carolina state legislature.
– The school grounds were increased from ten acres to a farm of seventy acres
– A boys dormitory was built.
– Teachers of agriculture and domestic science were added to the faculty.
– A girls dormitory was built.
– The James McConnell Hospital opened on the school campus.
– A new brick building was erected by the WPA to house both elementary and high school classrooms.
– A new lunch room was built.
– A gymnasium was completed.
– The last graduation ceremony for Farm Life High School was held.
– Farm Life, Carthage, Vass and Cameron High Schools were consolidated into the new Union Pines High School.
Carthage & Moore County Links:
– Google Street View of Sandhills Farm Life Elementary School
– Website of Sandhills Farm Life Elementary School
– The Town of Carthage website contains a History of Carthage, Carthage Facts, details of the annual Buggy Festival and more.
– Moore County towns
Moore Co. on Facebook: You Know You’re from the Pines If…