Elizabeth City High School — Elizabeth City, North Carolina
Posted by DaveSanders | North Carolina | Posted on December 17th, 2009
School Colors: Black and Gold
Mascot: Yellow Jackets
Replaced by Northeastern High School in 1969. (Also replaced P.W. Moore High School and Central High School.)
Here’s a good History of Elizabeth City schools.
From Elizabeth City-Pasquotank Public Schools:
ELIZABETH CITY HIGH SCHOOL
Elizabeth City, public, white. First building erected in 1908 on site of old Atlantic Collegiate Institute on North Road Street. It was replaced in 1923-1924 by a new High School, now the EC Middle School across the street. The old building remained until it was replaced by S.L. Sheep Junior High School in 1940.
From the Pasquotank County page at www.ncgenweb.us:
– “The first known school for Blacks [in North Carolina] was a red schoolhouse located near the corporate limits of Elizabeth City in 1879.. . . The school was called Colored Normal School…”
– “In 1924 Elizabeth City High School was built. In this same year, P.W. Moore was built to be the high school for black students from both the city and the county.”
– “Elizabeth City and Pasquotank County operated as two separate school systems until 1967 when the two units were merged into the present system.”
The 1916 Elizabeth High School yearbook, The Tatler, includes a photo of Ned, the collie dog mascot.
The 1915 State Annual Report lists the 1915 graduates as: Helen Bell, Maude Dewey, Nannie Fearing, Mary Harris, Jessie Harris, Elizabeth Hinton, Eula Poppendick, Seth Spivey, Euthel Raper, Henry White, Alma Winslow and William Woodey, Jr.
The 1916 State Annual Report lists the 1916 graduates as: Ottie Boettcher, Mildred Commander, Earle Chesson, Ruth Cooke, Roger Hayman, Pearl Hughes, Aubrey McCabe, Henry LeRoy, Alma Midgette, Ida Owens, Bessie Richardson, Mary Ward, Esther Woodley and Mattie White.
1957 – State AA Football Champions
In the 1950’s, the band went to Richmond to play in the Tobacco Bowl parade. I’m guessing there is no more Tobacco Bowl.
Scott C. Callaway Memorial Page
2 Responses to “Elizabeth City High School — Elizabeth City, North Carolina”
Leave a Reply
- Pharr-San Juan-Alamo High School – Texas
- North Dakota High School Football Champions
- A History of North Dakota (1938)
- Georgia High School Basketball – Boys State Champions
- Ohio State Girls High School Basketball Tournament (Participants)
- British Columbia (1)
- California (1)
- General (1)
- Georgia (16)
- Kentucky (3)
- Maryland (1)
- Massachusetts (1)
- North Carolina (38)
- North Dakota (2)
- Ohio (2)
- Ontario (1)
- South Carolina (3)
- Texas (1)
- Virginia (1)
- Wisconsin (1)