Aberdeen, North Carolina
Population: about 5,300
Aberdeen was named Blue’s Crossing until 1888. Energetic lumber men built railroads to move their timber. The railroads made Aberdeen a hub of industry and contributed to its growth.
The Aberdeen High School museum is located in the old train depot at the corner of Main & Sycamore.
Aberdeen High School photos
(click thumbnail to see full-size photo.)
Aberdeen High School
Mascot: Red Devils
Colors: Red & Grey
Aberdeen High School could trace its roots back to a one-room log school that held its first classes in 1876. The school was “officially” organized in June, 1920. In the fall of 1969 AHS students transferred to the new Pinecrest High School.
Both Aberdeen High School basketball teams were Moore County Champions of the 1947-1948 season, with the girl’s team going undefeated (19-0).
The girls team won 7 consecutive County Championships from 1946-1953. Also in 1953, the girls were Class A State Champions.
Bob Lee, who was Aberdeen’s football, baseball, softball and women’s basketball coach from 1950-1959, organized the first women’s basketball state championship, even before the sport was recognized by the NCHSAA. He was inducted into the NCHSAA Hall of Fame in 2003.
Aberdeen High School made four appearances in North Carolina championship games:
– 1956 State Champion (6-man teams)
– 1957 State Runner-up (6-man teams)
– 1963 State Runner-up, Region 2
– 1964 State Champion, Region 2
Here’s a link to the Google Street View of Aberdeen Elementary School. [See alumni comments below]
Hopefully some alumni will add comments to this post and tell us a little more about Aberdeen High School.