Durrett High School — Louisville, KY
Posted by DaveSanders | Kentucky | Posted on January 13th, 2010
Sallie Phillips Durrett High School
4409 Preston Highway
Louisville, KY 40213
colors: Royal Blue & gold
Durrett Junior High School opened in 1954, built on land owned by the Durrett and Phillips families. In 1957, the building was expanded to house Durrett High School. Rather than transferring students into the new high school, the Durrett Junior High Freshman led the way through and became the first graduating class in 1960. In 1968, the old Durrett family home that still stood on the property was demolished. Durrett High School closed after the final graduation ceremonies in 1981. From 1981 until 1991, the building was used by Jefferson County Public Schools’ Library Media Services and was home to the Durrett Education Center. In the Fall of 1991, after a $7 million makeover, it became the home of Louisville Male High School.
———— Links ————
———- Athletic Highlights ———-
– Steve Boyd, was the Individual Class AAA State Champion in 1967.
– 1959 – Lost in the State Finals (duPont Manual 41, Durrett 14)
– 1970 – Catcher, Terry Mappin, was drafted by the Detroit Tigers in the first round
– 1971 – 1st Baseman, Lynn Minner, was drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the second round
– 1979 – Durrett lost in the State Semi-finals (Shelby County 5, Durrett 3)
———- Durrett Folks in Music & the Arts ———-
– Leon Middleton has played sax with everybody from Louisville’s own Monarchs to the Beach Boys.
– George Poole started out with the Aztecs, a group of Durrett singers. He is now part of The Doo-Wop All-Stars.
- Former Durrett art teacher, Ginger Adams, is teaching art classes at The Riverbend Academy in Henderson.
– Kenneth M. LaMaster (Class of ’79) has authored two books: U. S. Penitentiary Leavenworth (Images of America) and Fort Leavenworth (Images of America).
If you have additional info or memories about Durrett High School, please leave a comment below.
8 Responses to “Durrett High School — Louisville, KY”
Leave a Reply
- Greene County, Georgia, High Schools — The Name Game
- Maryland High School Yearbooks and Apparel
- Paris High School — Greenville, South Carolina
- Covington High School — Covington, Virginia
- John R. Hawkins High School – Warrenton, North Carolina
- British Columbia (1)
- California (1)
- General (1)
- Georgia (14)
- Kentucky (3)
- Maryland (1)
- Massachusetts (1)
- North Carolina (38)
- Ontario (1)
- South Carolina (3)
- Virginia (1)
- Wisconsin (1)