Mt. Moriah High School
Climax, Decatur County, GA
Colors: Blue & Gold
Year opened: ????
Year closed: 1974
This post is a place to store miscellaneous notes, links, etc. we have gathered about Mt. Moriah High School so far. If you have any corrections or additions, please leave a comment below.
Mt. Moriah High School is mentioned as a participant in the 1948 South Georgia Athletic Association basketball tournament.
Here’s the article from the Atlanta Daily World, Mar. 24, 1948. [Apparently, the article has been moved or deleted.]
Mt. Moriah High School was a member of the Georgia Interscholastic Association at some point.
Merged with Attapulgus High School to become Attapulgus-Mt. Moriah High School.
A new building was opened in 1954. (thepostsearchlight.com, May 22, 2009)
—————— Miscellaneous entries in books & educational journals ——————
Annual Reports of the Department of Education to the General Assembly of the State of Georgia (for the school year ending Dec. 31, 1921)
– Decatur County, 3-year high schools:
— Attapulgus High School
— Climax High School
— Fowlson High School
— Pine Hill High School
— Mt. Pleasant High School
— West Bainbridge High School
Biographical Directory of Librarians in the United States and Canada
– BOYKIN, EDNA LESTER (LaVERNE), teacher, Mt. Moriah Vocational High School, 1948-49.
National Association of Secondary School Principals, ©1955
– Climax — Attapulgus-Mt. Moriah High School
Patterson’s American Education, Volumes 56-61, ©1963
– Decatur County Superintendent, W. L. Lamb, Bainbridge
– Climax, Decatur Co., pop. 373
— Climax High School, Ben H. Strickland, Principal
— Attapulgus-Mt. Moriah, Mrs. A. K. Maddux, Principal
Agriculture Teachers Directory and Handbook ©1970
– Climax 31734, S. R. Maddox, Mt. Moriah High School
All in the Timing: From Operating Room to Board Room
– “There were only ten to twelve students per class at Attapulgus High School in the 1940s.”
– The author, Charles R. Hatcher, mentions a basketball game between Attapulgus High School and Climax High School.
First reunion of Climax African-American School (from thepostsearchlight.com, June 26, 2009)
– The Climax School opened around 1936 as a grade 1-9 school. It closed in 1965 when the older students went to Bainbridge & the elementary student merged with the Climax white school.
Please help us fill in the blanks about Mt. Moriah High School. Leave a comment to share your memories or to add any other information.