Delbrook High School — North Vancouver, British Columbia
Posted by DaveSanders | British Columbia | Posted on March 29th, 2010
Year opened: 1957
Year closed: 1977
colors: Light Blue & Dark Blue
North Vancouver High School served as the only high school in North Vancouver until the opening of Delbrook. Delbrook High School opened in 1957 with Mr. Siddons as principal.
In the post Baby Boom era of the mid 1970’s, North Vancouver was experiencing the same declining enrollments as most other school districts. A proposal was being seriously discussed to close both North Vancouver and Delbrook High Schools at the end of the 1978-79 school year.
On January 28, 1977, a fire began in a lower-floor workshop and quickly spread upward, destroyed much of Delbrook High School. Delbrook’s students completed the 1977 year at nearby Balmoral Junior Secondary. Delbrook and Balmoral students attended classes in shifts, with one school using the buildings in the mornings and the other in the afternoons.
Rather than rebuild Delbrook, the school board officially closed the school on June 30, 1977. Delbrook students enrolled in their choice of either Carson Graham or Handsworth for the remainder of their high school years..
The Delbrook buildings which were not destroyed in the fire, including the gymnasium and cafeteria, now operate under North Vancouver Parks and Recreation as the Delbrook Community Recreation Centre.
– There is a pretty good overview of Delbrook on wikipedia. Since it covers sports highlights and notable alumni, I’ll refer you there instead of repeating it here.
– There are over 1,100 Delbrook High School alumni on Classmates.com.
– If you’re really bored (or want to be), here’s a link to the results of a study which used Delbrook students as guinea pigs: School Closure: The Effects of Forced Transfer blah, blah, blah.
The North Vancouver Museum and Archives have a collection of over 4,000 Delbrook High School photos and other memorablilia. Most of the photos are from the school’s yearbooks. The collection is stored at:
Community History Centre
3203 Institute Road
North Vancouver, B.C.
This has nothing to do with anything; Just an interesting bit of 1960’s trivia.
[from the Montreal Gazettte, April 14, 1962 ]
NORTH VANCOUVER, BC. – Opposed to the prevalence of tight skirts and rat’s-nest hairdos among teen-age girls, teachers at Delbrook High School here are holding charm classes designed to encourage moderation in dress and appearance.
If you have any photos, yearbook scans, corrections, memories, or additional info about Delbrook High School, please leave a comment below. Your input will make this a much more useful and interesting page.
4 Responses to “Delbrook High School — North Vancouver, British Columbia”
Leave a Reply
- Pharr-San Juan-Alamo High School – Texas
- North Dakota High School Football Champions
- A History of North Dakota (1938)
- Georgia High School Basketball – Boys State Champions
- Ohio State Girls High School Basketball Tournament (Participants)
- British Columbia (1)
- California (1)
- General (1)
- Georgia (16)
- Kentucky (3)
- Maryland (1)
- Massachusetts (1)
- North Carolina (38)
- North Dakota (2)
- Ohio (2)
- Ontario (1)
- South Carolina (3)
- Texas (1)
- Virginia (1)
- Wisconsin (1)